Little pieces of nutty, carob, chewy, crunchy goodness. I had to get a bit creative to come up with textures that mirror traditional rocky road, and although these might not be an exact replacement for rocky road... it hits the spot and it’s a guilt free healthy snack. You can sub or add in different nuts and dried fruit, if you like.
2 cups of dates
1/2 cup of carob powder
1/2 cup of toasted hazelnuts
2/3 cup of dried cranberries
1 cup of shredded coconut
1 cup of pepitas, sun flour seeds or other nuts
1/2 cup of activated buckwheat buckinis (optional but adds a great crunch)
Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Dry roast the hazelnuts for about 10 minutes, until toasted and delicious.
- Put the dates in a bowl and pour boiling water over them, leaving them to soak for about 10 minutes.
- Add the drained dates to your food processor and carob powder. Blend on high until smooth. Add the nuts and seeds pulse the mixture to incorporate and gently chop some of the nuts. Then transfer to a bowl. Add the coconut and dried fruit mix well.
- Spread the mixture into a 20 cm (8 in) baking tin lined with parchment paper and pop in the fridge to set.
- When set, break up your pieces and Store in the fridge.